Recent educational reforms such as the implementation of the Florida Standards, Common Core Standards throughout the country, and changes to teacher evaluation systems have impacted the way colleges of education prepare and support aspiring teachers.
FAU’s Teaching and Learning Department in the College of Education has embraced this challenge by securing a three-year Centers of Excellence in Education Teacher Preparation grant from the Florida Department of Education.
FAU’s initiative, EXCEED, is a focused approach to improving the knowledge and skills of elementary education graduates to meet school districts’ expectations. The grant implementation includes activities that support the following:
- 1. development and delivery of new content courses in mathematics, reading/language arts, science and social science to improve the content knowledge of the prospective teachers;
- 2. improved expectations and feedback in practica and student teaching experiences;
- 3. improved data measurements of student teacher effectiveness;
- 4. infusion of current instructional practices aligned to the evaluation model throughout elementary education coursework;
- 5. enhanced selection and preparation of clinical educators and university supervisors; and
- 6. improved in-depth knowledge, understanding, and application of the Broward and Palm Beach evaluation models by FAU faculty, university supervisors, and elementary education students, as well as school district clinical educators.